That’s right. The event, supported by the Lyme Disease Foundation, is a campaign which promotes preventative measures which can be taken against Lyme disease. Lyme Disease is an acute inflammatory disease caused by the bite of a tick infected with the bacteria, Borrelia burgdorferi; of which Lyme Disease is spread through the bite of ticks which carry Borrelia burgdorferi bacterium.
In the US there are two main species of tick which carry and spread Lyme Disease. These are the deer tick or black-legged tick (Ixodes scapularis) in the North central and Eastern parts of the country and the Western black-legged tick (Ixodes pacifus) on the West (Pacific) coast. Both species of ticks are found in wooded areas and here in Maryland Lyme Disease is the most common of all the tick-borne diseases. According to data from the CDC’s Lyme Disease Incidence Rates by State, Maryland had 13.5 cases in 2013, and 18.9 in 2012. Over the last few years, there has been a steady increase in the number of reported cases of Lyme Disease. Mosquito Squad of Montgomery County and Howard County, MD wants to raise awareness of the disease in order educate both young and old about Lyme Disease and how they can take steps to prevent it.
Raising awareness of Lyme Disease starts in your own backyard! Knowing how to properly eradicate and control the tick within its natural environment is the first step in staying healthy by reducing the chance of coming into contact with a tick that could potentially harbor the bacteria which causes the disease. Mosquito Squad of Montgomery County and Howard County recommends the following steps for tick-proof yard:
The 6 C’s to Tick-Proof Your Yard
1. Clear out. Reduce your tick exposure by clearing out areas where lawn and tree debris gathers. Ticks thrive in moist, shady areas and tend to die in sunny, dry areas. Locate compost piles away from play areas or high traffic. Separate them with wood chips or gravel. Don’t position playground equipment, decks and patios near treed areas.
2. Clean. Eliminate leaf litter and brush by cleaning it up around the house and lawn edges, mow tall grasses and keep your lawn short.
3. Choose plants. Select plants and shrubs that are not attractive to deer and/or install physical barriers to keep deer out of your yard. Check with your local nursery to determine the best choices for your area.
5. Care for family pets. Family pets can suffer from tick-borne disease and also carry infected ticks into the home. Talk to your veterinarian about using tick collars and sprays. As with all pest control products, be sure to follow directions carefully.
6. Call the pros. Professionals utilize both barrier sprays that can kill “adult” ticks on the spot as well as “tick tubes.” Strategically placed, “tick tubes” prompt field mice to incorporate tick-killing material in their bedding, effectively eliminating hundreds of tick nymphs found in each mouse
We specialize in a dual tick prevention and control program that targets ticks during each stage of development. Our barrier spray will eliminate adult ticks on contact while tick tubes are placed in key areas on your property, twice a season, to eliminate ticks at their nymph stage. Tick tubes can dramatically decrease the chances of encountering a Lyme infected tick on your property.
Contact Mosquito Squad of Howard County & Montgomery County Maryland to learn more about preventing Lyme Disease. We are scheduling tick tube implementation now. You can reach us by phone at (301) 926-3001, or via email at montgomery-county.mosquitosquad.com.