According to new data released by the Centers for Disease Control, Lyme disease strikes about 300,000 people each year in the United States. This number is 10 times higher than in previous years, in which 20-30K infections per year were reported.
The big increase in this tick-borne disease shows that Lyme is a widespread disease, often under-reported and one that can go undiagnosed for years. This new figure is the CDC’s most comprehensive attempt at a better estimate. They arrived at their results by conducting a survey of 7 national labs, a national patient survey and a review of insurance claims.
The study revealed that 96% of Lyme disease cases in the US are from the following 13 states: Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Vermont, Virginia and Wisconsin.
We’re not surprised that Maryland is included in this list of top Lyme disease states, as we have personally seen a rising number of Lyme cases reported in our areas of Montgomery & Howard County MD.
Because ticks carry the risk of spreading serious diseases, Mosquito Squad’s recommended the following steps for tick control and prevention.
6 Cs to Tick-Proof Your Yard:
- Clear out. Reduce tick exposure by clearing out areas where lawn and tree debris gathers. Ticks thrive in moist, shady areas. Locate compost piles away from play areas or high traffic. Separate them with wood chips or gravel. Don’t position playground equipment, decks and patios near treed areas.
- Clean. Eliminate leaf litter and brush by cleaning it up around the house and lawn edges, mow tall grasses and keep the lawn short.
- Choose plants. Select plants and shrubs that are not attractive to deer and/or install physical barriers to keep deer out of your yard. Check with your local nursery to determine the best choices for your area.
- Check hiding places: Know tick hiding places and check them frequently. Fences, brick walls and patio retaining walls are popular hiding places.
- Care for family pets. Family pets can suffer from tick-borne disease and also carry infected ticks into the home. Talk to your veterinarian about using tick collars and sprays. As with all pest control products, be sure to follow directions carefully.
- Call in the Pros: Professionals utilize both barrier sprays that can kill adult ticks on the spot as well as “tick tubes”. Strategically placed “tick tubes”, prompt field mice to incorporate tick-killing material in their bedding, effectively eliminating hundreds of tick nymphs found in each mouse nest.
Mosquito Squad of Howard County & Montgomery County is a locally-owned niche pest-control company that helps you take back your backyard and enjoy your outdoor living space! We offer solutions to rid your property of ticks, mosquitoes and stink bugs, including our barrier spray service, automatic misting systems, and special event sprays. Call us at 301-926-3001 to get a quote and find out how you can enjoy the outdoors and protect your family & pets from the dangers of ticks and diseases like Lyme Disease. Take preventative measures to keep ticks away by calling Mosquito Squad today!