Marylanders know the mosquitoes are plentiful in our state, and each summer we hear about West Nile Virus cases popping up in our region. This mosquito-borne disease can be deadly, although it’s good to that there are simple steps you can take to decrease your risk of infection.
The Maryland Department of Health reports that the number of West Nile virus cases in humans hit a peak of 73 in our state during 2003. In prior years, the number of human cases has declined, ranging between 1 to 23 cases each year up through 2011. The state began tracking 2013 West Nile cases on July 1st this year and data shows that as of July 30, 2013 there have been 0 cases of human infection in Maryland so far. It is important to note that our neighbors in Northern Virginia, have already had positive-testing mosquito pools this month in Fairfax & Prince William County.
Maryland cases will likely start popping up in August. Thankfully, Marylanders can take simple steps to prevent WNV infection. Here at Mosquito Squad, we recommend the 5 T’s as steps to eliminate mosquitoes:
- Tip. Reduce standing water to eliminate mosquito threats, including those underneath and around downspouts, in plant saucers and dog bowls.
- Toss. Excess grass, leaves, piles, fire wood.
- Turn. Turn over larger items like children’s sandboxes, wagons or plastic toys.
- Remove Tarps. If tarps stretched over firewood piles, boats or sports equipment aren’t taut, they’re holding water.
- Treat. Utilize a mosquito elimination barrier treatment around the home and yard. Using a barrier treatment at home reduces the need for using DEET-containing bug spray. Mosquito Squad eliminates up to 90% of the mosquitoes and ticks on a property.
Upon confirmation of the first human case of West Nile Virus or positive mosquito pool, the Maryland Department of Health & Mental Hygiene will start releasing weekly reports on Wednesdays, to provide residents with updates.
Mosquito Squad can help you avoid the nuisance of mosquito bites, as well as protect you from the dangers of mosquito-borne diseases like West Nile Virus. Our clients tell us daily how thankful they are for our services and how it has have helped them actually enjoy their outdoor living space in the absence of pesky mosquitoes.
Mosquito Squad of Howard County & Montgomery County is a locally-owned niche pest-control company that helps you take back your backyard and enjoy your outdoor living space! We offer solutions to rid your property of mosquitoes, stink bugs and ticks, including our barrier spray service, automatic misting systems, and special event sprays. Call us at 301-926-3001 to get a quote and find out how you can enjoy the outdoors and protect your family & pets from mosquitoes, ticks and diseases like West Nile Virus and Lyme Disease.