Did you know that this week, June 23-29, marks “National Mosquito Control Awareness Week” 2013? Extreme and warm weather conditions are creating a perfect storm for a bumper crop of mosquitoes and potentially dangerous West Nile this season. We want to help Marylanders protect themselves when outdoors this summer.
The mosquitoes are already out in full force and here in Howard County and Montgomery County, although there have not been any West Nile Virus (WNV) cases reported in our region this summer, it is only a matter of time before we hear of local cases of the disease, which is carried by mosquitoes. Recently released statistics from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reveal that a total of 5,674 cases of WNV disease in people, including 286 deaths, were reported to CDC in 2012.
Here at Mosquito Squad, we recommend 5 strategies for mosquito control in Maryland, including:
- TIP. Reduce standing water to eliminate mosquito threats, including those in children’s sandboxes, wagons or plastic toys; underneath and around downspouts, in plant saucers and dog bowls. Other hot spots include gutters, flat roofs and low lying ground under decks and porches.
- TOSS. Remove excess grass, leaves, firewood and clippings from yards. Lawn debris can create places for water to accumulate.
- Turn over larger yard items that could hold water like children’s portable sandboxes or plastic toys.
- REMOVE TARPS. If tarps stretched over firewood piles, boats or sports equipment and grills aren’t taut, they’re holding water. Remember to shake out tarps immediately following a rain storm.
- TREAT. Utilize a mosquito elimination barrier treatment around the home and yard. Using a barrier treatment at home reduces the need for using DEET-containing bug spray on the body. Mosquito Squad’s eliminates up to 90% of the mosquitoes and ticks on a property.
Be sure to check out our DIY mosquito control tips too.
Mosquito Squad of Howard County & Montgomery County is a locally-owned niche pest-control company that helps you take back your backyard and enjoy your outdoor living space! We offer solutions to rid your property of mosquitoes, stink bugs and ticks, including our barrier spray service, automatic misting systems, and special event sprays. Call us at 301-926-3001 to get a quote and find out how you can enjoy the outdoors and protect your family & pets from mosquitoes, ticks and diseases like West Nile Virus and Lyme Disease.