May is National Lyme Disease Awareness Month. Here in the mid-Atlantic region, specifically Montgomery & Howard County Maryland, we’ve noticed an increase in the number of ticks and witnessed a surge in Lyme Disease infections in our area. This disease is now regarded as the most common tick-borne illness in the US affecting predominantly humans and dogs. For those who are interested in finding out more about prevention and advocacy for those fighting this disease, the National Capital Lyme Disease Association is a great resource.
Here at Mosquito Squad, we want to help protect people and pets from the dangers of Lyme Disease and other tick-borne diseases. We offer a treatment that eliminates ticks on your property. We also have the following 6 tips to help you reduce the risk of ticks in your yard:
6 Cs to Tick-Proof Your Yard:
- Clear out. Reduce tick exposure by clearing out areas where lawn and tree debris gathers. Ticks thrive in moist, shady areas. Locate compost piles away from play areas or high traffic. Separate them with wood chips or gravel. Don’t position playground equipment, decks and patios near treed areas.
- Clean. Eliminate leaf litter and brush by cleaning it up around the house and lawn edges, mow tall grasses and keep the lawn short.
- Choose plants. Select plants and shrubs that are not attractive to deer and/or install physical barriers to keep deer out of your yard. Check with your local nursery to determine the best choices for your area.
- Check hiding places: Know tick hiding places and check them frequently. Fences, brick walls and patio retaining walls are popular hiding places.
- Care for family pets. Family pets can suffer from tick-borne disease and also carry infected ticks into the home. Talk to your veterinarian about using tick collars and sprays. As with all pest control products, be sure to follow directions carefully.
- Call in the Pros: Professionals utilize both barrier sprays that can kill adult ticks on the spot as well as “tick tubes”. Strategically placed “tick tubes”, prompt field mice to incorporate tick-killing material in their bedding, effectively eliminating hundreds of tick nymphs found in each mouse nest.
Mosquito Squad of Howard County & Montgomery County is a locally owned niche pest-control company that helps you take back your backyard and enjoy your outdoor living space! We offer solutions to rid your property of ticks, mosquitoes and stink bugs, including our barrier spray service, automatic misting systems, and special event sprays. Call us at 301-926-3001 to get a quote and find out how you can enjoy the outdoors and protect your family & pets from the dangers of ticks and diseases like Lyme Disease. Take preventative measures to keep ticks away by calling Mosquito Squad today!