West Nile Virus is spreading at an increasingly alarming rate this summer. CNN reported yesterday that this is the largest outbreak of West Nile Virus ever in the US, according to recent data released by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). As of Wednesday, August 22nd, 2012, there are over 1,100 human cases of West Nile Virus this year, including 42 deaths.
There are now 9 confirmed cases of West Nile Virus in Maryland. Although our state hasn’t been hit as hard as some states like Texas, we are still among the top states for the number of WNV infections, and will be hitting double-digits soon.
Marylanders need to be cautious when outdoors during peak mosquito-hours. Those who are outdoors or at high-risk, need to exercise caution.
Who has the highest risk of contracting West Nile Virus?
People 50 years old and up are at higher risk to get severe illness. People over the age of 50 are more likely to develop serious symptoms of WNV if they do get sick and should take special care to avoid mosquito bites.
Being outside means you’re at risk. The more time you’re outdoors, the more time you could be bitten by an infected mosquito. Pay attention to avoiding mosquito bites if you spend a lot of time outside, either working or playing.
Here at Mosquito Squad, we recommend the 5 T’s as steps to eliminate mosquitoes and reduce your risk of WNV infection:
- Tip. Reduce standing water to eliminate mosquito threats, including those underneath and around downspouts, in plant saucers and dog bowls.
- Toss. Excess grass, leaves, piles, fire wood.
- Turn. Turn over larger items like children’s sandboxes, wagons or plastic toys.
- Remove Tarps. If tarps stretched over firewood piles, boats or sports equipment aren’t taut, they’re holding water.
- Treat. Utilize a mosquito elimination barrier treatment around the home and yard. Using a barrier treatment at home reduces the need for using DEET-containing bug spray. Mosquito Squad eliminates up to 90% of the mosquitoes and ticks on a property.
Mosquito Squad of Howard County & Montgomery County is a locally-owned niche pest-control company that helps you take back your backyard and enjoy your outdoor living space! We offer solutions to rid your property of mosquitoes, stink bugs and ticks, including our barrier spray service, automatic misting systems, and special event sprays. Call us at 301-926-3001 to get a quote and find out how you can enjoy the outdoors and protect your family & pets from mosquitoes, ticks and diseases like West Nile Virus and Lyme Disease.