According to the Maryland Department of Health and Mental Hygiene, the first 2012 human case of West Nile Virus for the state of Maryland has been discovered.
BALTIMORE, MD (August 10, 2012) – The Maryland Department of Health and Mental Hygiene (DHMH) today announced that an adult in Central Maryland is the State’s first confirmed case of symptomatic West Nile virus (WNV) infection in 2012. West Nile virus was also detected in a pool of mosquitoes collected in Montgomery County by the U.S. Department of Defense. A mosquito pool is a group of mosquitoes collected at one of several trap sites across the State.
People that develop illness from West Nile Virus infection, will usually have any combination of the following symptoms: fever, headache, body aches, skin rash and swollen lymph glands. Symptoms will typically appear between 3-5 days following the bite of an infected mosquito. It should be noted that majority of individuals with West Nile virus will not develop any symptoms at all. However, West Nile Virus can be fatal. The elderly and those who are immunocomprised are at the highest risk of developing severe cases.
The number of human West Nile Virus cases for the state of Maryland has varied over the past several years:
- 73 cases in 2003
- 23 cases in 2010
- 19 cases in 2011
The first confirmed human case of West Nile Virus for the 2o12 in Maryland for 2012 should serve as an important reminder to Marylanders that there are simple steps they can take to prevent WNV infection. Here at Mosquito Squad, we recommend the 5 T’s as steps to eliminate mosquitoes:
- Tip. Reduce standing water to eliminate mosquito threats, including those underneath and around downspouts, in plant saucers and dog bowls.
- Toss. Excess grass, leaves, piles, fire wood.
- Turn. Turn over larger items like children’s sandboxes, wagons or plastic toys.
- Remove Tarps. If tarps stretched over firewood piles, boats or sports equipment aren’t taut, they’re holding water.
- Treat. Utilize a mosquito elimination barrier treatment around the home and yard. Using a barrier treatment at home reduces the need for using DEET-containing bug spray. Mosquito Squad eliminates up to 90% of the mosquitoes and ticks on a property.
Mosquito Squad of Howard County & Montgomery County is a locally-owned niche pest-control company that helps you take back your backyard and enjoy your outdoor living space! We offer solutions to rid your property of mosquitoes, stink bugs and ticks, including our barrier spray service, automatic misting systems, and special event sprays. Call us at 301-926-3001 to get a quote and find out how you can enjoy the outdoors and protect your family & pets from mosquitoes, ticks and diseases like West Nile Virus and Lyme Disease.