Today, Wednesday April 25th, 2012 is World Malaria Day.
In an effort to end this deadly disease spread by mosquitoes, Mosquito Squad is proud to join forces with Malaria No More to “swat Malaria,” and raise awareness of this disease that is treatable and preventable.
In fact, Mosquito Squad, North America’s largest and most trusted mosquito elimination and tick control company, recently committed more than $50,000 to help Malaria No More achieve its goal of ending malaria deaths in Africa, and local franchisees such as ours are supporting the effort through a variety of grassroots activities.
We believe that this day of awareness is a time to educate people about malaria and give them a focused way to make a difference.
While Malaria was eradicated in the US more than 50 years ago, it continues to take the life of a child every minute. In fact, more than 650,000 people die every year from Malaria, with 86% of those deaths occurring in children. The good news is that Malaria is preventable and treatable – and with a simple tool like a $10 mosquito net, up to two children can be protected from the deadly disease. For those who want to help with this cause, a donation can be made towards the mosquito net effort here.
To find out more about World Malaria Day and other news & events surrounding this day, click here.
To eliminate mosquitoes in yards and outdoors spaces in the Howard & Montgomery county areas here in Maryland, we recommend the following tips:
- Tip. Reduce standing water to eliminate mosquito threats, including those underneath and around downspouts, in plant saucers and dog bowls.
- Toss. Excess grass, leaves, piles, fire wood.
- Turn. Turn over larger items like children’s sandboxes, wagons or plastic toys.
- Remove Tarps. If tarps stretched over firewood piles, boats or sports equipment aren’t taut, they’re holding water.
- Treat. Utilize a mosquito elimination barrier treatment around the home and yard. Using a barrier treatment at home reduces the need for using DEET-containing bug spray. Mosquito Squad eliminates up to 90% of the mosquitoes and ticks on a property.